Kendall Katwalk – October 2015

A blog post only a week behind! I’m catching up…

Tuesday. July 28, 2015. Hike: Kendall Katwalk. Distance: 12 miles. Elevation gain: 2600 feet. High point: 5400 feet.

I hiked Kendall Katwalk for the first time in July. You can find pretty pictures from that hike HERE. I didn’t carry my phone/camera so no pics this time around. But to give you an idea, imagine the pictures from July only more gray. It didn’t really rain on me, but the Seattle gray has settled in and now most days are just kinda gray now.

This time around I was going for a trail run. So I made the Katwalk part of my half marathon training. (I’m running the Grand Ridge Half Marathon in less than 2 weeks from now!) 2,600 feet elevation gain is a little more than I want to run, but the Katwalk is a good distance and importantly close to Seattle.

I drive out to the trailhead and park in the half full lot. I start my run sometime between 9 and 10am. I’m not timing myself really. Just running to run and cover the miles that I’ll cover in the race. I wont be setting any records. My race goal is to finish and run the entire time. If I finish under 3 hours – a slow and completely attainable goal – I’ll be happy.

Temps are around 50. I’m decked out in running tights, a t-shirt, my houdini windjacket, and earband. I have a handheld water bottle, which holds only 10 oz, so I carry another 1L water bottle – somewhat awkwardly without a strap. Without a running vest, this will have to do. I take a few gels – okay, packets of honey – for energy and experimentation. The first time I ran a long run (about 90 minutes) I did it without food or water and felt like total crap. Rookie move. It’s worth it to carry a little something. There’s an entire science behind when and what to eat and drink, but I’m fine approximating it. I realize I forgot my watch so I’ll guess at the best time to eat the gels – around 2/3 of the way to the top, then again 1/3 of the way down.

I set off on the trail. It’s a gradual climb. Steady but not too steep. I run the entire way up, aside from a few slightly steeper patches and spots with terrible footing where I walk. I pass a few people – some going up, some coming down. I eat a honey packet 2/3ish of the way up. According to WTA, it’s here “at 4.25 miles, cross a nearly flat ridge top where large fallen trees bear evidence to a past storm”. Swigs of water here and there. I also stash the bigger water bottle after refilling my handheld from it and continue uphill.

The wind picks up in gusts near the top. Brrr. I hope the exposed Katwalk isn’t windy. I can always pop my hood for a little more weather protection. I climb a little higher and pop out onto the “katwalk” where luckily there is no wind. The scree here is slower going but I take the opportunity to walk when I can. I turn around at the first switchback on the katwalk. I think that must have been about 6 miles.

Whew running down is more my speed. I have to watch my footing and I’m concerned about getting cold, but it’s great. I pass a few people I ran by on the way up as well as a lot more people coming up now. I understand the trail etiquette that those going up have the right of way, but it’s really nice when people move over for me to run past. (Or do trail runners automatically have the right of way? Hmm I should look into this.)

I eat my second honey packet and pick up my rogue water bottle. I contemplate not eating honey, but convince myself that it’s better to have a tiny bit too much sugar in my system than not enough. Running down is so much more fun. My knees feel fine, which I’m actually surprised by. I would have thought my knees would hate me, but they seem pretty happy. Sweet.

Two miles from the trailhead I get passed by 2 horses and their riders – the first time I’ve actually seen horses on the PCT. I manage not to fall on the way down, too. Score. And I make it down to the trail head just in time to use the stinky outhouse a few hours later. (I forget how long it took me – not fast for sure but not horribly slow either.)

I immediately change into wool pants, wool shirt, and down jacket. The only way to stay warm is to not get cold, so they say. I gobble down a little rice and veggies I brought to get some food in my body. I’m not hungry, but I can’t really eat and drive so it’s now or when I get home. Drink a little more water. I drive home to Seattle but not without stopping. Ugh I feel sick. I’m nauseous. Was it the run? The slightly sketchy leftover rice? Getting too hot in my wool and down duds? The bumpy highway? Yes, probably all of the above. I pull off some random exit, pull onto a cul-de-sac, recline my seat, and powernap. I manage to doze off for a few minutes and somehow feel better. Back on the road again. Race, here we come!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s